- Notes from a Moab Trailer. Well that was just lovely.
- On Chandler Bing’s Job. This was interesting – you are not your job, but what does that look like?
- Charting a future of child care, post-covid-19 and beyond. Childcare is a huge deal.
- It’s about time: valuing child care in a post-pandemic world. This is very optimistic, and I hope it’s not wrong.
Beastie Boys Book: PixPixPix
PixPixPix is a slim story of a chapter, a vignette of fifth graders in 1978 attempting to call into a television station to play a video game on air after school. I couldn’t help but ask “Why is this chapter even in here? It’s not about the band, it’s not about New York City specifically, and yes, it’s a great capture of what elementary school kids did after school before the internet and overachievers and helicopter parents, but how, specifically does it relate to The Beastie Boys’ story?”
But the answer came almost immediately. Luc Sante’s chapter is big and sweeping and it would be incredibly easy to position the band as being savants somehow, destined by their gifts and the era to become the stars they eventually became. PixPixPix is about showing they were goofy, dumb kids just being themselves. No one was destined for anything. It’s about having fun, not about any sweeping grand pronouncements.
It lets you know that fun is the important thing in this story.
- Donald Trump: Old School Gossip Read this, then pull out your copy of Queen Bees and Wannabees or, better yet, just watch Mean Girls.
- A League of Their Own is pretty damn awesome.
- Serena Williams, master of all.
- The Second Life of Clothing You Donate. Worth your time.